updated as of August 22, 2019
Payment and Registration Process
How to register for NVWF tournaments
Standard-NVWF Age Groups Defined
- Wrestlers competing in the Standard-NVWF program will be assigned to age divisions based mostly on their birth dates (and other factors seen below):
High Level Notes:
DYS assigns wrestlers to age divisions based on their birth dates. NVWF potentially could adjust the date ranges for each age group based on registrations calculated the week after Thanksgiving in which case DYS would adjust kids to match their respective groups.
Wrestlers would compete in their respective NVWF age divisions on Sundays. However, for the DYS practice rooms, DYS may move kids to a higher or lower age division for their practice rooms for several reasons listed below
DYS strives to ensure wrestlers have partners around the same weight in practice room
DYS may place siblings in the same room to ease family logistics during the week (this may not be possible if kids are too far apart in age or weight
DYS coaches may place wrestlers in alternate practice rooms for wrestler development at the discretion of DYS and coaches (pending DYS Wrestling Commissioner approval)
- Detailed Notes:
- Kids born between January 1, 2005 and August 31, 2005 are typically 9th graders, however, they are authorized to compete in NVWF.
- Kids born between September 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014 are typically pre-schoolers authorized to compete in NVWF, however, DYS reserves the right to adjust the registration birth date range based on its policies to restrict participation.
- Age divisions listed here are based on last year's definitions.
- Age divisions are based on birth date ranges rather than birth years or grades to have equal numbers per division.
- Age divisions are typically set or adusted around the Thanksgiving period when NVWF registrations settle.
- Kids are typically assigned to practice rooms based on their birth dates for specific age divisions.
- Kids may be moved to an older or younger age division for practices if too light or too heavy.
- Kids may wrestle in their own age division plus enter the next older age division for additional competition. This is known as "bumping up" to the next age division or "bump-ups".
- To wrestle up, kids state their intent to do so during the next weighin period at the scales.
- NVWF warmup periods can start as soon as mats become unoccupied from earlier age divisions.
- Coaches are typically assigned to a particular age division for pracices and competitions.
- Coaches are expected to stay during their assigned age division plus the next older division.
TENTATIVE COMPETITION SCHEDULE:
- Sunday, December 8
- Sunday, December 15
- Sunday, January, 5, 12, 19, 26
- Sunday, February 2, 9 (bye week off Feb 16)
- Saturday/Sunday, February 22/23, Season finals (each age group only goes one day)
- there are two venues each weekend upon which each club attends only one
- locations may be anywhere in the northern VA area (Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Warrenton, Stafford, etc)
TYPICAL COMPETITION SEQUENCE:
- Younger kids "Bantams" attend early morning and only stay for their session
- Older kids "Seniors" arrive in the afternoon and only stay for their session
- All other age groups arrive for weighins and compete after one another